Friday, February 27, 2009
i just wanted to remind everyone that today is the date that the submissions for the E C Schlarb Foundation for Women Entrepreneurs scholarship that is going to be given away March 26, 2009 at our "dancing with the roses" The Second Annual Alabama Roses Dinner are due today by 5 pm.
Either Noelle or Edith will be in our office until 5 to accept those submissions.
We thank you for your participation and Good Luck to everyone that applies!
Talk to you later!
Friday, February 20, 2009
Wow it has been a busy week, we have had 3 luncheons, a kick off meeting and 2 night meetings, Edith has been running all week. (I only had to go to the kickoff meeting). There are just a few things I want to touch on before the weekend.
1. Please DO NO forget that if you are going to apply for the Scholarship that we are giving away the deadline for submission is February 27, 2009 at 5 pm. I will wait to get our mail until right at 5 o'clock. Good luck everyone this is a great project the Foundation is doing again.
2. Don't forget our major fundraiser "dancing with the roses - The 2nd Annual Alabama Roses Dinner". Not only are we giving away the scholarship that night we have a Special Guest who will be performing. Fabian Sanchez from the hit TV show "Dancing with the Stars" will be showing off his amazing dance moves as well as some other surprises. We will be holding it at the Harbert Center on March 26, 2009. We will have registration from 5:30 - 6:00 with dinner from 6 - 7:30. To register please call Noelle at (205) 453-0249 or email at email@example.com (we will have a link to register and pay online by next week)
3. I attended the kickoff meeting for "Birdies for Charity" yesterday and wow, it promises to be an even bigger even than last year. I wanted to let everyone one that 100% of the money we raise goes to us. So, the more pledges we get the more we make. This year's grand prize in the "Guess The Birdies" contest will be entered into a drawing to win a "Stay & Play" Package at the Wold Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine, FL. I wanted also let you know that we are trying this year for what are called Bonus Bucks. Regions takes the 3 charities with the highest pledges and/or donations and gives them money.
A. Top pledge and/or donation - 100% match from Regions up to $10,000
B. 2nd place - 100% match from Regions up to $5,000
C. 3rd place - 100% match up to $2500
Plus those are in addition to what we raise. So, please help us make the Center some needed funds.
4. Don't forget that we have not 1 but 2 classes next week
A. Everything You Have Ever Wanted to know about Sales - Hoover Library - $20 - 02/25/09 11:30-1:00
B. The Business Art of Social Networking - CAWBC offices (2 N 20th St, Suite 830)- $15 - 02/26/09 11:30-1:00
That's all I have for now If I have forgotten something I will come back and re-post
Talk to you all later!
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Well, I can finally let everyone know the BIG news. At our Alabama Roses dinner we will have a performance by none other than Fabian Sanchez of "Dancing With The Stars" fame. I can not wait!!!
In case you don't know about our dinner it is a major fundraiser for the Center and it will be a plated dinner at The Harbert Center March 26, 2009 with reception from 5:30 - 6 and dinner from 6 - 7:30pm. You can register by calling me at 205-453-0249 or emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I should have it up on the website no later than Monday the 23rd.
I also want to let you know of a scholarship that we will be giving away that night as well. This scholarship is intended for continuing education of a Woman Owned Business in business for 3 or more years. For the application form please call me at (205) 453-0249 or email me at email@example.com and I will be happy to forward or fax you the form. Deadline for entry is February 27, 2009 by 5 pm.
Please don't forget we also have the Business Taxes 101 class Thursday at 11:30 in Chelsea as well as the 2 classes next week "Everything You ever wanted to know about Sales" 02/25 at 11:30 and "The Business Art of Social Networking) 02/25 at 11:30 here at our office (2 North 20th Suite 830).
Well, that's all for now, please check back often and be sure to leave comments for us!
Talk to you later
Monday, February 9, 2009
For Immediate Release: Contact: Noelle Gaspard
February 9, 2009 205-453-0249 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Foundation Offers $1,000 Scholarship to Business Women
Scholarship to be awarded during the Second Annual Alabama Roses Dinner March 26 at the Harbert Center
What: The Elizabeth Conwell Schlarb Foundation for Women Entrepreneurs’ Scholarship Fund
Who: For women business owners in business for at least three years
Where: For businesses in Central Alabama
When: Applications are due February 27, 2009
More Info: Applicants may use the money to pay for one or more courses at a two or four
year college or for Entrepreneurial Education and Professional Development. Applications can be obtained at www.cawbc.org or by contacting Noelle Gaspard at 205-453-0249 and/or email@example.com.
The Foundation was established in 1999 to help socially and economically disadvantaged
women business owners as they work to build and grow their business.
- Provide educational scholarships to women entrepreneurs to further their education so as to build the skills necessary to be successful business owners.
- Provide loans to women business owners who are unable to obtain funding from traditional sources for their business growth needs.
- Provide career day programs at high schools and community colleges to demonstrate the importance and benefits of entrepreneurship with the focus on encouraging young women to consider beginning their own business.
- Develop programs on topics of special interest to women business owners as they strive to grow their business.
About the Central Alabama Women’s Business Center
In 1999 the Central Alabama Women’s Business Center was funded as a project of the Schlarb Foundation for Women Entrepreneurs. The Center assists women entrepreneurs in starting, building and growing their businesses. Partially funded by the Small Business Administration, the Central Alabama Women’s Business Center services a seven county area including: Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, Blount, Walker, Talladega and Tuscaloosa Counties.
Wasn't this past weekend beautiful! The sky was blue almost all weekend at my house. The herb window garden I planted in containers has started to sprout (if I can keep the cats out of them) and I opened all the windows. It was great!
Don't forget we are holding our ETS class Wednesday at 11:30 at the Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce (505 N 20th St, 2nd Floor - Financial Center) It is only $20 and lunch is provided. Dr. Beck Taylor with the Brock School of Business from Samford will be speaking about how to survive in a downtown economy - economic trends 2009. This should be a great class, please come out and support the Center, have a great lunch and hear a wonderful speaker all at the same time.
Also, don't forget we have out Business Taxes 101 class next Thursday in Chelsea also at 11:30.
That's all I have for now.
Talk to you later,
Friday, February 6, 2009
Well, we have gone through another week here at the Center. It has been a great week and we are so looking forward to next week. Wednesday February 11, 2009, we are holding a seminar at the Birmingham Region Chamber of Commerce (505 N 20th St, Suite 200 Financial Center). The seminar is "How to Survive in a Downturn Economy - Economic Trends). Dr. Beck A Taylor - Dean and Professor of Economics for the Brock School of Business at Samford University. This is where you will lean about the business and economic trends that we can expect to see in 2009.
So, if you would like to come and hear this presentation, please RSVP to Noelle at (205) 453-0249. It is only $20 and it includes lunch. So, come and spend your lunch hour to learn how to survive this present economy.
Please have a great weekend and I will talk to you next week!
Talk to you later.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
I wanted to let you know that the class list for February is now on the website (www.cawbc.org).
We are holding:
- ETS: How to Survive in a Downturned Economy - Economic Trends 2009 - 02/11
- Business Taxes 101 - 02/19
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Sales - 02/25
- The Business Art of Social Networking - 02/26
To find out more about these classes please visit the website.
We are also signed up to participate in this year's "Birdies For Charity" at the Regions Charity Classic ( we are charity #19. It is either listed under the E C Schlarb Foundation OR The Central Alabama Women's Business Center). This is a great way you can help the Center and it can be fun. If you donate you will also be eligible to win great prizes from the Tournament. last year we made almost $500 and we are hoping to raise a lot more.
Well, that's all for now,
Talk to you later,
Monday, February 2, 2009
Evidently Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow this morning which means that we are going to have 6 more weeks of winter. Looking out the window here at the Center, I am sure that Mr. Phil was NOT in Birmingham, about the only thing he would see today would be his reflection in a puddle of water on the concrete.
It is hard to believe that today is February 1, 2009. It is still odd to even write 2009 much less it be 2 months into the year. (I guess it is true that the older you get the faster the time goes).
I wanted to let you know that we have a major event in the works this year at the Center. I do not know all the dates but PLEASE keep a watch here to know the dates of one of THE places to be in March.
P.S. - A friend of mine runs the "Birmingham Terminal" website (www.bhamterminal.com) a young girl in the Children's Hospital is in desperate need of platelets. (I called to see if I could donate but you have to be able to sustain a 16 gauge needle in each arm and I don't have it)
If you can help please call:
American Red Cross - 1 (888) 905-3344
Tell them that you want to donate platelets and you want to be a direct donor for Hannah Grace Harrison.
They will take down your information and will call you back with a time to schedule the donation.
Well, that's all for now!
Talk to you soon!